The Fiber Artist

Wow, that sounds pretentious doesn't it. But it is the name of my company, so I decided to use it. This is where I will keep a record of works in progress in the hope that it will result in more productivity. It will also give me a place to ramble on about my life, so that maybe later I will remember what happened in ___ (fill in day, month, year of your choice).

Saturday, January 04, 2014

Coffin repair

Years and years ago, Carl got me a large cedar chest, from an old man who was not the woodworker that Carl is. (When I first saw it it was taking up the whole back of a 15 passenger van, my reaction was "You got me a coffin" and that is what it has been called here ever since.  They would have to bend my knees a little to bury me in it)

 He must have used green wood for at least part of it, because the boards have separated, and one even cracked from the stress.  a Cedar chest with wide cracks is not much use.

So last year Carl took it apart and attempted to get it back together the way it was supposed to fit.  He was able to close some of the cracks but there were a couple of them that were warped past fixing.  He put it back together and today he is caulking all the cracks and seams.  So it should keep the bugs out.  You can see one of the cracks in the top of the chest.

So I guess I can die anytime and I have somewhere to store my sweaters until then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home